Monday, August 22, 2011

Roasted Chili Relish

Yes, I'm in a rut, but some good things are coming from it, so I'm gonna go with it for a bit. This week my daughter wanted taco night before going back to college. I wanted something hot and smoky to go with my tacos, and being a hot freak, I had a few chilies in the fridge. I decided I didn't really want a salsa, though; I wanted something crunchy and hot as a condiment to my tacos, something more like a relish - though not pickled. Here's what I concocted. I would be awesome on roasted pork, but was also pretty great on ground turkey tacos (see recipe somewhere in the annals of this blog), with green blender salsa (also in this blog), tomatoes, black olives and shredded cheese. Mmmmmmm, hot, smoky and nutty!

Roasted Chili Relish
(makes about a cup)
2 jalepenos, roasted, stemmed and minced
1 habanero, roasted, stemmed and minced - DO NOT TOUCH WITH BARE HANDS!
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 bunch of scallions, chopped 1-1/2" into the green part
Fresh lime juice, about 1/4th of a lime
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp (scant) fresh ground black pepper (aka, a lot of pepper!)
Kosher salt to taste

Rub the chilies with a little oil and roast on the grill until well-charred all over. Mince finely - be very careful with the habaneros! Cut the root end off of the scallions, then split each one lengthwise with your knife, then mince. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and season to taste - about 1/3 to 1/2 tsp Kosher salt - you want it pleasantly salty. This relish will be very hot and strongly-peppery on its own, but spooned onto roasted meats or on tacos, it is fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment